GMO Usage in Wine Production Media Round Table
25 June 2008, Cape Town
The MRT was held at The Radisson SAS Hotel in Cape Town, and was chaired by independent facilitator Debra Patter from the ETV 24 Hour News Channel.
The event featured presentations by academics, key people in government, and environmental/consumer groups, and subjects will range from the role of GMOs in the wine industry, overview of specific GMO applications and opposition to them, as well as the role of the government in regulating GMOs. The presentations were followed by a debate, where the media were given the opportunity to put questions to all the panel members.
- Media release
- Fact sheets: GMOs and Wine | Biofuels Basics | GMOs | Stemcells
- GMO's in SA - A regulatory perspective (1.6MB)
- Genetic improvement of grapevine - why? (632kb)
- Wine biotechnology, background, regulation and commercialization (431kb)
- GM yeast in the wine industry - threat or opportunity? (736kb)
- Where you sit is where you stand - the case of GM grapes and wine in SA (108kb)
- Genetically Modified Organisms - benefits and risks (2.68MB)
Young Science Communicators Writing Initiative:
In an initiative to offer a platform to exercise skills in science communication, PUB commissioned a group of young scientists to write popular articles on various topics relating to biotechnology applications. Read their on articles on topics including sustainable energy, aquaculture, palaeogenomics, and more... Click here to view.
Click here to view archived newsletters.
Shedding Light on Human Genetic Diversity
A paper detailing the the Southern African Genome Sequencing Project and its results was published in the journal Nature.
A range of teaching aids are available in a number of different languages
Interested in a career in the exciting field of biotechnology?
Find out more!